Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tissues and Soup


Sickness ugh. Sneezy, sniffly, congested, muffle head yuck. I don’t get sick often. In fact I can’t even remember the last time I was truly sick. But these past few days have been pretty bad. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 feeling healthy, I am at a 6. Not totally incapable of working, but definitely in need of tissues and medicine at all times. I’m not sure if it is the new environment that I am working in (extreme dust and bad air circulation) or that for the past week during my Thanksgiving break my body and mind was able to relax a bit and not constantly think and work and now going back to work, I have shocked my body and it is negatively reacting to work. I’m pretty sure it is not the latter reason. But I like to blame things on my work causing the things that happen to me that I don’t like in life.


Anyways, my not feeling well caused me to run to the store during my lunch break to buy behind the counter sudafed (do not buy sudafed PE found on the shelves, it does not work, go to the pharmacy and ask for sudafed, the only way to go), Afrin and chicken noodle soup makings. I love chicken noodle soup. It is definitely in my top 5 soups to eat with tortilla soup being number 1, pea soup, roasted tomato soup and corn chowder mixed in there. I probably make chicken noodle the most of my favorite soups because it is the easiest, quickest and uses the fewest ingredients. Every time I make this soup I use a different recipe, but it almost always turns out the same. But this time I think that I found one that I will keep on making. It is Tyler Florence’s Chicken Noodle soup recipe.

First you boil some chicken until done, saute vegetables, add chicken stock, add noodles, then add chicken throughout the cooking process. After all this in about 30 minutes you have warm, comforting chicken noodle soup and I did feel a lot better after this meal.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 bay leaf
2 quarts chicken stock, or 5 cans of chicken stock (reduced sodium)
8 ounces of dried wide egg noodles
2 chicken breasts boiled and shredded
salt and pepper

Directions

1. In a large sauce pan heat and add oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and bay leaf.
2. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
3. Pour in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil.
4. Add the noodles and cooked until tender.
5. Add chicken and continue to simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment