Thursday, December 24, 2009

Weeknight Dinners




Huevos Rancheros, ranch style eggs, what makes these ranch style except that they are quick and semi-hardy, but aren’t all eggs quick?  Anyways I love making these and I love eating these for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I probably eat this eat at least 3 times a week for any of those meals, although I usually make them for dinner.  It is a very nutritious meal that combines all the food groups.  Protein, carbs, vegetables and I’m sure there are others I don’t know about.  But that isn't really why I eat them.  I make them so often because they are so freakin' good. 
 
Lately, I’ve been experimenting with flour tortillas, corn tortillas and pita.  I have to say that pita is the best and easiest to eat.  The corn tortilla sometimes gets too crisp and it is hard to cut with your knife.  The pita on the other hand remains easy to cut no matter how long you cook your eggs.  This usually becomes a problem for me because I cook my eggs for a long time.  I like them done.  Well done.  No oozy yellow or whiteness seen on my plate.  But that is my opinion and obviously you can make them how ever you want.  I think these are best with sharp cheddar cheese, but you can also use any other hard cheese such as jack or monterey.




What keeps me making this dish over and over is the fresh homemade salsa.  It is very simple; tomato, red onion, lime juice and salt.  It is so yummy and if you can make this salsa a few hours ahead of time it is even better because the time allows the red onion and tomato to absorb the lime juice and salt. 

 

Overall this dish is really quick to make, heat a small amount of oil in a pan and fry the tortilla for a few minutes, flip, sprinkle cheese, drop an egg on the tortilla, let it set, flip and let cook to your liking.  Place tortilla on plate and add more cheese and salsa.  You can add black beans or a few slices of avocado also.  I have been putting avocado on mine recently.  (whippie for $1 avocados)



A few tricks I've learned from making these.  You're pan can be too hot!  Cook over medium heat to avoid burning.  When about to flip your tortilla or pita, do it quickly and it doesn't matter that you break the yolk.  I actually almost prefer it that way.
 


Ingredients for 1 serving

1 tortilla
1 egg
shredded or slice of cheddar cheese
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 lime
sliced avocado
canned black beans
olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions

Salsa
1. Slice tomato and red onion, place in small bowl.
2. Squeeze half lime into bowl.
3. Add few shakes of salt, mix.

Huevos
1. Heat small amount of oil in pan over medium high. Fry tortilla for a few seconds on each side.
2. Place cheddar cheese on tortilla, let melt for a few seconds.
3. Crack egg over tortilla and cheese. Season with salt and pepper
4. Cook for a few minutes, until egg yolk starts to set. Don’t let burn.
5. Flip egg and continue to cook on opposite side until liking.
6. Place on plate, egg side up and place beans, salsa and avocado slices. Serve with knife and fork. You can also put more cheese, use sour cream, jalapenos, meat on your huevos rancheros.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment